Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Raspberry Mittens

I've begun knitting a pair of mittens made of Lamb's Pride wool (which is very soft as it's actually part wool and part mohair). I'll add a photo when they're finished. In the meantime, here's a photo of the snowmen stitch markers I'm using. Fun!

The color of the yarn is Raspberry and, as I am delighted with the idea of raspberries in winter, I've called them Raspberry Mittens. The pattern is a two-needle one (it's easier than using dps and I don't mind the sewing the seam) and can be found here .

Whenever I knit mittens, I am reminded of this paragraph from Little Women:

"The feeble fingers were never idle, and one of her pleasures was to make little things for the school children daily passing to and fro, to drop a pair of mittens from her window for a pair of purple hands.... till the reluctant climbers of the ladder of learning found their way strewn with flowers, as it were, and came to regard the gentle giver as a sort of fairy godmother, who sat above there, and showered down gifts miraculously suited to their tastes and needs. If Beth had wanted any reward, she found it in the bright little faces always turned up to her window, with nods and smiles, and the droll little letters which came to her, full of blots and gratitude."